Monday, April 10, 2006

About Us: Chasing the Dream

May 7, 1971

On May 7, 1971, my Aunt and Uncle took me to the races at Pan American Speedway, in San Antonio, TX, for my 12th Birthday. My uncle, Fred Elbel, raced a ’65 Chevelle in the Super Stock class. He won the feature that night, at the age of 50. It would prove to be his last feature win in a racing career that spanned three decades.

I was hooked. At some point during that season, I told everyone that I was going to race someday. Of course, my Cousins and I all said we were going to race when we grew up. I don’t think anyone believed me. But, I knew I would do it.

After 6 successful seasons behind the wheel at Painesville and Lorain County Speedways, I developed health issues in 2003. At one point, it appeared the problems were worse than they actually were, so I decided to retire from racing. Once I learned the problems weren’t as bad as we had originally thought, I decided to get back behind the wheel.

I made a trade for a Cutlass, and had intended to race again in 2005. While at the Cleveland AutoRama in January 2005, we stopped at the Legends display, and I said, “If I had my druthers, this is what I would race.” My wife, Rebecca, replied, “Then why aren’t you?” I explained the higher initial outlay for a Legend. She actually convinced me to take another year off to get the finances together to go Legends racing.

We took delivery of our Legends car in early December 2005, and have been racing in the Northern Ohio Legends series since that time.

Stay tuned as we return to the track full-time this season.

No comments: